Wednesday, January 16, 2008

My Defining Moment

Let me first say, I am not a political creature by nature. However, I do feel that this current presidential election is an important one at this point in my lifetime. I am deeply concerned about the damage done by eight years of a man who smirks when he speaks and clearly lacks intelligence. I simply can not listen to him. That may be an unfair judgement yet it is how I feel. I believe each of our political beliefs are personal and shaped by our lives and experiences. I avoid group think mentality. I prefer to gather information quietly and decide for myself. This last week I have done more political homework than I ever have in my life. Nevada will caucus on Saturday, January 19th. I felt suddenly that I better find my position if I am to caucus. I need to be firm in my decision so that I can stand in my candidates corner. This is Nevada’s first foray onto the political radar. That is pretty exciting stuff and we have benefitted from it with an array of visits from candidates descending on our state and that brings me to:

Barack Obama came to Carson City and I was there. I will tell you the lighthearted stuff that made me smile. Once we were allowed into the auditorium we waited about an hour and during that time a mix tape played. It was a mix tape after my own heart. Staple Singers, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, any artist who had the funk and an uplifting message was on that tape. I just wanted to dance and sing and I sort of did, in my chair. Senator Obama has a wonderful sense of humor. He commented about the DNA analysis that showed that Dick Cheney was a distant relation. He said when these types of tests are done you hope to be related to some one cool like Abraham Lincoln (one of his personal heroes) or Willie Mays. He said Cheney was a bit of a disappointment. He mentioned that many have questioned his experience and suggested he is not ready. That he needs more time to simmer, needs more seasoning and what he thinks they are really saying is "they want to boil the hope right out of him". He’s a "hope monger". Like that is a bad thing.

He said he came to this campaign as a agent of change from the beginning. Now, all you hear everyone in the democratic race saying is they are about change. He gave an uplifting political stump speech about "Why I am running for president" and it was good and it covered all the topics that are in the forefront of the public’s mind right now. The war, health care, veterans, economy, all things you can read on his website: Barack Obama .

He is accused of being naive in regards to his plans and hopes. I am not naive enough not to recognize his reason for being in Carson City but it also speaks to his true feeling for grassroots organization that he was here. He urged everyone, no matter their choice, to caucus on Saturday. Yes, he would like us to caucus for him, but more importantly, caucus because it is an opportunity to be heard.

He quoted Martin Luther King, Jr.. He quoted John F. Kennedy. I can’t give you specifics. You can read and investigate yourself what his plans and goals are. There are any number of speeches available on his website or YouTube, this is certainly the most computer friendly campaign yet and I am especially impressed with Senator Obama’s website.

Do I think he can do all he speaks of? I don’t know but then does any candidate follow through on all their promises? I believe if he wins he will need a good 8 years to realize his goals. I’m down with that. I went knowing his reputation for charisma but honestly, I wasn’t looking for that and it was not on display in anyway that I expected except to say he is smart, articulate, funny, works without notes, excellent speech giver.

I walked away understanding that he is passionate and part of that passion is "the fierce urgency of now", this particular time in the USA. I saw a man with a strong moral compass. I saw someone reasonable, aware of his strengths and weaknesses, I saw a man who is down to earth, grounded in a way I had not expected. I saw a man who can lead and possibly change us and the nation for the better.

If you haven’t seen the victory speech Senator Obama gave after his win in Iowa
Marilyn has a lovely post and the video available. It gave me chills.

Senator Obama did take questions from the audience. He listened very attentively, he answered them in a straight forward manner and spoke directly to the person who asked. He did not stray off topic from what the question was, he was impressive in that regard. When a woman asked him "Are you electable? With all due respect Senator, we have never had a black man for president." He smiled at her and said "I have noticed that." He then went on to say that he knows there will be people who will not vote for him because he is black, people who will not vote for Hilary because she is a woman, people who will not vote for John Edwards because of his accent. He said that he has been pleasantly surprised by people along the campaign trail, in that they, for the most part, have looked to the issues and the message each candidate brings rather than race or gender.

Could it be we are finally ready to act on the words of Martin Luther King, Jr.?

"I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color
of their skin, but by the content of their character."

In the news today, that very issue was addressed by Obama and Clinton. The Baltimore Sun has the article.

My lovely readers expressed an interest in my experience Monday and I am so happy for your comments. I’m not writing to sway you or spell out specifics. In fact, I am a bit shy of putting this out there: as I said I believe politics is personal and I hold my beliefs close, I don’t engage in a lot of political discourse or savor an argument over who is the better candidate, who has the better plan or policy. I understand the vast amount of vacillation democrats feel around having to choose a ground breaking candidate either female or African American. How amazing that these are considerations. I love the volume of what that speaks to. Progress, in my lifetime, of which I am proud to see.

For me my choice has been clarified. I have felt in my gut from the beginning of the political season that this is where I would come to. To you I will say this: check out all the candidates websites, put some time aside to at least read their statements, register to vote and take part in the process whether it be primary or caucus. VOTE. It does matter.

4 comments:

Marilyn said...

This made me cry...not because I'm happy you're choosing the candidate I support...but because you really get WHY I support him. Beautiful post! It IS a personal issue...and I know some folks will think I'm automatically supporting him for personal reasons. But I honestly think he's the best candidate. I got a bit irritated hearing commentary after the Las Vegas debate when I kept hearing how Hillary had done so much better than the guys. I thought they all performed well, and I prefer a candidate who doesn't sound like he or she is just providing polished talking points. I LIKE that Barack hesitates in his answers, because it sounds like he's actually thinking before he's talking rather than giving an automatic response. My mother called last night to say that she has a ride to the caucuses on Saturday...and she's quite excited to caucus for Obama. I read an NPR story this morning that mentioned a McCain Republican in NV who's switched to Obama...and it gave me an inkling of hope that we might turn your red state blue yet. :)

Nikki Neurotic said...

This will only be my second presidential election....I could have voted in the 2000 election, but I didn't register in time. I was still in high school, so I don't think the reality of being an adult set in. I made sure that I registered the first opportunity that I had after the election though.

Like you, I'm not sure who I'm going to vote for yet. In the past, I've voted mainly democrat, partially out of mistrust of the republican party (thank you Bush) and more than partially because I just naturally find their policies more appealing to my own set of what's important.

This time around though, I really want to look at both sides. Though, I probably will still go left...I think the right side deserves consideration.

Thanks on your thoughts about your experience...while I do agree that people should depend on their own opinions...it's still good to see things through other's eyes.

Karin Friedemann said...

A Doctor for America

*************************************************************************

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FG2PUZoukfA

Time is running out. We have a short window of time to end war.

We just have to want to uphold and defend the Constitution.

Please help the good doctor bypass the mainstream media: Watch
http://youtube.com/watch?v=FG2PUZoukfA


In the Cause of Liberty,
forward this far and wide
to those who have not yet voted.

Kerstin said...

Jeri,

Thanks for this post! As you know I steer more towards the right side of the spectrum, predominantly because I don't want to be taxed to death (Obama's plans would have a very negative impact on us in this respect, and we are NOT wealthy) and I am worried about his lack of experience because I do believe that it takes more than being a gifted speaker, and that a proven track record of leading and governing is essential for the position of "most powerful man in the world." The only way Obama could make up for this is by surrounding himself with a first class team, which is not impossible.

I like him a lot as a person, he is by far the most inspiring candidate on both sides. If it comes down to having a democratic president then he would definitely be my first choice. And by the way, when I watch and listen to him, I never think about the color of his skin, I just see the person.

I think it's great that you are making a point of gathering information and educating yourself. I have always "felt" when it came to politics and I have to say, it "feels" so much better to actually use facts rather than just emotions when making up my mind.

Take care,
Kerstin