Sunday, August 06, 2006

MINE


August 1st was the year anniversary of my move to Carson City. I celebrated the day by mailing my first mortgage payment on my new home. If only that thrill could maintain itself over the next thirty years. Ha! Still she's lovely even though it looks from the photo like I bought a door, a couple windows, and a garage. Most of the house is tucked back off the street which is nice for peace and quiet. There's no showing off the interior because it's not nearly in show off condition but there are fewer boxes to trip over and quite a few more were carted off to recycling last week. Phew, that was a relief...cardboard was making me dizzy. Thanks to the inexpensive home warranty we purchased we were able to get the refrigerator water feature repaired and up and running for very few dollars and get the swamp cooler (such a classy name)serviced so it runs at maximum efficiency which came in handy when temperatures hovered in the 100's for two weeks....

Last friday we installed a really quiet garage door opener and 3 ceiling fans. Okay, wait...MMspouse and I picked them out and then we paid people to come install them. It was a significant home improvement and I'm quite proud of increasing the value of my home so easily. The bonus was all the money came from a rebate after close of escrow for fees that had been estimated and turned out to be less. It was an awesome treat to go out and be able to shop for stuff, pay cash, and have money left to pay people to install it all.

I'm still pretty amazed that I was able to do this and that I did it in a year's time. Like MMmom always told me "You can do anything you put your mind to!" It's awfully nice for this lifelong apartment dweller to sit on the deck steps and run my feet through grass in my own backyard. It occured to me tonight that the refrigerator is mine....not a loaner....funny little things like that keep happening. I've got lots of ideas of things to do over the next couple months and years. Meanwhile, I'm gonna live here for awhile and settle in and see what really needs to be done next. Could be flowers. Could be paint. Got 30 years to decide.

3 comments:

The G Family said...

From the pic it looks real nice and inviting! I can't believe it has already been a year that you have lived in Carson...Wow, time flies...Have fun with your "making my house my own" projects, it's one time when painting is slightly fun....Maybe....Congrats!

Becca said...

Yeah. How exciting. I can't wait to see the house!

Marilyn said...

I still can't believe YOU OWN A HOUSE! :)