Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Halfway


Today is the half way point of my week. I am working more than usual this week and last week. Throw in a very fun and busy visit from MMmom and MMniece and assorted tots and you have a reasonably happy yet overly tired Moxie. I am determined not to let this period of intense work get to me and I will stoically keep the whining to a minimum since it is so rare I overwork myself.

Since I am halfway or somewhat settled into the new house I have actually found some time to read. Ahh, books - I have been so distracted in the past few months that nothing got read and my stacks were keening and calling me but to no avail. I had to jump back in with a fitting summer beach read "Motion to Suppress" by Perri O'Shaughnessy. P. O'S. being a pen name for two sisters who write mysteries revolving around lawyer Nina Riley. The cool part of this series of books is that they are set in Lake Tahoe...yup, that big blue lake right over the hill from me. I actually drive by the building they use as the setting for Nina Riley's office when I work in South Lake Tahoe. I wouldn't know anything about this if my buds W&D hadn't given me one of the books right after I moved to this area. I have also tackled Joan Didion's "The Year of Magical Thinking." I've never been much of a Didion fan but I do like John Gregory Dunne's writings and have a signed copy of "Monster in a Box" from a reading he did in San Francisco. I wasn't sure I wanted to read a memoir of Mr. Dunne's demise....however, it did capture my attention, it is wonderfully written without being maudlin, with a lot of quirky descriptions of the way grief has it's way with you. It's a beautiful tribute and a lovely insight into their relationship. I've just started Augusten Burrough's "Dry", my niece has the companion "Running with Scissors" so there is to be a trade off down the road if she ever finds time to read again.

With that I'm off to watch a rerun of "House". Love that Hugh Laurie, can't wait for the new season.

4 comments:

kyrie said...

Did you know they are making a movie out of Running with Scissors?! I am stoked. i can't wait to see a tralier for it. my friend Lindsay read dry and said it was an amazing book. let me know how it is when you're done.

Jeri said...

yes, a movie...out oct. 27.with a pretty amazing cast: Annette Bening, Joseph Fiennes, Gwyneth Paltrow, Evan Rachel Wood.....we must go see!!!

Becca said...

WHAT! I better get to reading this book!

kyrie said...

we can all be on the phone in the movie theater. so it will be like we are with each other. whisper things everyonce in awhile. it will be a fantastic outing!