Sunday, October 08, 2006

Everybody Do The Candy Dance

The first official weekend of fall is known for two things in Northern Nevada. I partook of one while everyone and their Harley headed to Reno for Street Vibrations, which is the other. I've yet to participate in Street Vibrations since I don't yet own a motorcycle though I have plans at some point to become a motorcycle ridin' gal. I did take my Motorcycle Safety course and passed so that's half of it there.

Many a motorcycle can be seen making their way to Genoa at the base of the Sierra's for the annual two day Candy Dance and Arts Fair. The motorcyclists are, no doubt, headed here.



The Genoa Thirst Parlor - established in 1863. It is a favorite spot for cyclists to stop for a refreshment. I often wonder if the cyclists know that they are headed into a beehive of a street faire going on all around the bar.

The Genoa Candy Dance was started in 1919 as a dance and supper to raise money for streetlights in the tiny town. Candy was passed out at the dance as a way to entice more participation. With the success of the event it continued on paying for a years worth of electricity each successive year. It has evolved into a two day street fair featuring arts and crafts, food, a dance and supper, along with the sale of some of the best sugary concoctions including Pecan Turtles, Chocolate Haystacks, Fudge, Divinity, Almond Bark....these are just a few of the favorites. This year I purchased the fudge and divinity. The divinity was the most delicious I have tasted since christmas at my Grandmother's many, many years ago. Excellent fudge, too. There is also a woman who makes English Toffee to swoon over. I had some of that too.


The purchasing of candy happens here. At the Town Hall building.

After a morning of sauntering around looking at peoples wares and sneaking bites of english toffee, my sister and I picked up a Navajo Taco and sat for a bit of lunch. A Navajo Taco is new to me but it was simple and delicious. Fry bread topped with chili beans, lettuce, tomato, cheese, onions. The bread was awesome and it was quite filling.



We sat in the shade of this beautiful tree and had lunch.

With the mountains to gaze at. Very beautiful and serene.

A nice way to spend an official fall afternoon. And sugary treats to take home!

3 comments:

kyrie said...

english toffee. yummmm.
sounds like an excellent afternoon!!

Marilyn said...

Yum. Yum. And did I say?...YUM. (I'd be all over that taco!) :)

Becca said...

ohh I want some sweets