Sunday, May 14, 2006

Lucky Girl

I want to thank you for so many gifts
You gave me love and tenderness
I want to thank you
I want to thank you for your generosity,
The love, and the honesty that you gave to me
I want to thank you, show my gratitude,
My love and my respect for you
I want to thank you

-Natalie Merchant-


At a certain age I realized how lucky I was. At a certain time in my life I had a gaggle of women friends who, along with myself, were recovering from various substances and abuses. A group of open, honest, raw, and revealing women who did not shy away from talking about the tough stuff, the uncomfortable stuff, unimaginable stuff. Willing to open up and discard all the built up baggage that they had been dragging around and find a spiritual talisman to carry them forward through life in a different way. During this time it became apparent to me that I have a wonderful mother and so many of the women I met did not. Shocked and saddened for others, I was filled with gratitude. For so much of my own journey she is my rock, my touchstone, my best friend. Intelligent, funny, difficult to shock, filled with encouragement, trusting my decisions (clenching her teeth over the bad ones), teaching by example, the best role model for independence - mental, spiritual, financial. Put me through college at great expense and sacrifice on her part. Spoiled me rotten in the process and always, always encouraging me, cheering me on, sharing chocolate and insight. In those early days of recovery she did not shy away from the tough stuff, the questions, and she shared more history with me than I had ever imagined she would. It’s obvious to all who know me that I am blessed by her presence and support. Even better there’s not a close friend in my life who doesn’t inquire about her well being during the course of any conversation. She’s the one everyone wants to call mom and she’s mine. Lucky girl, me. Happy Mother’s Day, Mom, you are the best.

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

You are indeed a very lucky girl to have the Mom you do...Happy Mother's Day to her! xoxo