Sunday, March 25, 2007

More Signs of Spring

Daffodils abloom in a neighborhood yards.




Zeke seeking a spot in the sun.

















Yesterday I had an inspiring visit to Home Depot. I had to pick up a few things whose names I learned...that's the thing about Home Depot...everything has a name....for instance, did you know the little knobs on the toilet seat are called "bumpers". Who knew? I also picked up a "flare cap" for my outdoor faucet so it won't spray water all over the house when I am trying to water. I feel immensely more educated. MMspouse is on a tear to replace our light bulbs with fluorescent bulbs to save a little money on the electrical bill. I was happy to see there are several types to choose from that don't give off that industrial glare and I hear it's considered "green" to do so. Al Gore would be proud though I think he needs to install a few in his home considering the latest "outing" of his electrical bill. Once all supplies were in hand, I sauntered through the place checking out prices and dreaming of upgrades....new bathtub, new vanity, closet doors, etc...happy to note several things I would like to do aren't nearly as expensive as I imagined. Per the usual, I have spent my tax return money in my head long before I have received it.
Once home my favorite site greeted me.

Books in the mail! I love getting books in the mail. I am especially intrigued by the new Mark Haddon, author of "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time" which I loved for its narrative voice and endearing hero. I read a bit of each and am already intrigued about both.

One of the things I forget about spring is it's changeability. One day it's lovely, warm and comfortable: the next day, windy and cool. I think we get so excited for spring we forget it's unpredictability. Still all the signs are there and it is a welcome relief from the cold and gray of winter.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is fascinating to learn the names of all those weird little gadgets and parts and devices. That said, I don't quite share the joy level my mate does when we set foot inside a Home Depot or Lowe's. ;) But go, you!

Unknown said...

I love getting books in the mail, too.