Monday, March 20, 2006

Spring NOT

It is the first day of spring. We had snow flurries. The only words that really come to mind are "spring skiing". There will be plenty of that here in the Tahoe area. Might have to take those snowboarding lessons after all. I could feel spring approaching....about 10 days ago it was a really nice, sunny day and I was sitting on the deck eyeing my garden and thinking about planting things. I had to go to the store and buy seeds the compulsion was so strong. That and my other compulsion to clean out my closet is rearing it's head. This is always an internal sign of spring for me, tossing clothes. Now I have flower fever. Some other odd little things have become apparent since moving here and living in a house. I am fascinated by Home Depot. I can walk through there and gape in awe, look at all the stuff you can do!! Today I went in search of a really good broom. One of the drawbacks of driving around in the snow is that alot of the mud and snow comes into the garage on the car and drops onto the floor. This makes a big mess. I was thinking I might need a big squeegee to clean it. I decided a good broom would do it and guess what I found? A big broom with a squeegee on it. Brilliant! I was thrilled. The same sort of excitement now overtakes me when I see new appliances. What the hell is that???? I absolutely adore the washer and dryer in my house. When I saw the top of line refrigerator in the kitchen when we moved in I literally swooned. This is suddenly better than finding a good fitting pair of jeans! It's the oddest occurence. I'm currently skulking about looking for affordable patio furniture.

On the fashion front, the new Summit Sierra mall opened last week. I haven't been yet but there's plans to go later this week. This is the mall everyone is excited about. Full of high end shopping that folks had to go to California for. Dillard's, which appears to be a bit like Nordstrom's, Crate & Barrel, Pottery Barn, Chico's, Coldwater Creek, etc....The mall is located at the base of the Mt. Rose Highway so you don't even have to go into Reno from Carson City to get to it. Decent fitting jeans could be on the horizon after all.

The employment gods came through for me and I am now gainfully employed. I'll be working two different dental offices: one down the road in Minden (15 minute commute) and one in Carson City central (10 minute commute). They are both good offices with nice people. I'm just starting to get my feet under me in one and have only worked one day in the other. I haven't worked this much in quite a while so the days off I do have will be filled with chiropractic appointments and massages. This is how I keep my body going in a field that is notoriously hard on necks and shoulders. I'm excited to have found a massage school run through the local community college that offers very reasonable rates on massages. Along with the fact that chiropractic fees up here are about 1/2 of what I would pay in a urban area it's all highly affordable, plus there's the added bonus of feeling pampered.

I guess you could say the symbology of spring is here. There is a lot of forward movement with work, mulling over flower planting, sweeping out the garage, shopping at a new mall, maybe some new shoes or a new purse. Just need a little sunshine and warmth to complete the picture.

2 comments:

Marilyn said...

Yay Spring! (Don't know why this post took two days to show up in my Bloglines feeds...but then all the Blogger blogs have been acting kinda weird the last couple of days...at least on my end...) Congrats on the jobs!!! And how fun...a cool mall...even WE don't have one of those. ;)

Becca said...

never been to a dillards. May have to venture out next week