Sunday, February 11, 2007

5 Years, 10 Days

Long Ago and Far Away

I doubt she was thrilled when 5 years and 10 days after her birthday I showed up. She will tell you that the reason I am always late on her birthday greetings is because I am already getting caught up in the excitement of my own pending day, proving my own self-absorption. She's right and I'm late again. I got the whole laissez faire attitude growing up from my parents, she still had to deal with discipline and chores and such. It is never fair when the baby of the family is spoiled. Still we share some great childhood memories, the above picture clearly not one of them but I like it just the same. This was a trip to Disneyland. It was hot and I think we were both cranky. Others that we share more fondly, I hope, are spending summer weekends at Clear Lake boating and water skiing and swimming. Ten day house boating excursions on Lake Shasta for more water skiing. A deep love of our Grandma Bea and all things baked in her kitchen. A serious affinity for chocolate. A love of the card game Rummy.

She is responsible for my love of all things Motown and the reason I know the words to every song by the Supremes. She is the reason I still appreciate a really well crafted pop song. She is the reason I love to dance and showed me how very early on. She knows I can sing but will always be the better singer. There's a theory that she is the reason I am left-handed and I do remember she taught me how to write my name. I may be fairly ambidextrous but I think like a lefty which is why often just a look says more and words aren't needed. We lefties share a wave length.

So even though I am late in my birthday salutations she knows that I was and did think of her on her day and sent her a psychic "have a good day".

Happy Birthday, Sis!
xoxox

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a sweet and great tribute to your sister--happy birthday to her! I'll be back to say it to you when the time is right. ;) All is well here...just a bit behind at home...work's been crazy!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GIRL!!! xoxox