Monday, June 23, 2008

Word Up!

If I am lucky in the course of my day, whilst working with the public, I will encounter someone who makes me smile, makes me laugh, tells a good tale, or prompts me to tell one myself. These moments exist outside the realm of "work" for the connection forged lingers long after the work is done. One person who has entered my life, via my work here in Carson City, is Ruth. She is funny, goofy, whip-smart, and just an effervescent whirl of silliness. She’s a redhead. We bonded instantly. Ruth has written a book, along with her son who provided the illustrations. You might say it is a children’s book but really it transcends that...it is an everybody book. Lush with words and drawings and photographs, all in black and white, it is a feast for the mind, the eye, and the intellect.
I was able to attend a book fair in Minden last week to which Ruth had been invited. I am always supportive of artistic acquaintances and if there are books involved I will show up. The fair provided a forum for authors in the Reno/Tahoe/Carson Valley area and I am mightily impressed with the talent this area contains. My prime directive, however, was to get a gander at Ruth’s book. Whee. Mine. Proud owner of Ruth’s book. I might gift it, more likely I will keep my copy all to myself. I do want to share the details with you and perhaps you, too, will want to own a copy of this wonderful book.


One of the great tidbits about Ruth’s book is that her son, young at the time, did many of the illustrations and definitions and Ruth paid him for each drawing. I love that! Truly an equal opportunity collaboration. One of the things that tickles Ruth currently is a recommendation from Ray Bradbury calling it "an edible feast" and "a delicious book". Ruth visibly vibrates when mentioning Mr. Bradbury’s quotes, the wondrousness of his interest and I applaud the phenomenal accomplishment of the book itself.

Wonderful Ruth



Abecedarium anomalous by Ruth Keil Posselt and Jason Posselt
(or if you prefer)
alphabet book irregular


It is a wordy title, a hint of what is to come. This is not you’re A is for apple standard fare. This is glorious, read out loud alliteration. I have many favorites, I will share one:


- P-
"my patterned plumes are peerless," prates the peacock pompously
replies the patient panther, "you perform precariously
"



If you have a love of language and reading and wish to share it with another, be it child or peer, this is a wonderful book. There is silliness to be found in reading it aloud. Great fun.


You can e-mail Ruth at roothbooks@earthlink.net.


I am trying to talk her into building a blog around the book...I'll keep you informed.

1 comment:

mary ann said...

Some great writing on your part here ~ the "effervescent swirl of silliness" is too perfect and I love all of your nature photos. Such beautiful country!