Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Get A Grip

These little beauties ought to do the trick. Like sneakers but with serious tread abilities. Did I mention: On Sale. Yay for me.


Last Saturday SP and I took our third hike around the trails of Lake Tahoe. We choose the easy trek from Highway 28 down to Skunk Harbor, a quick two miles north of Spooner Lake. After a snack and a lovely and lingering swim in the cove we hymned and hawed our way back UP the relatively easy path back to the highway. Easy in that the trail is more a dirt access road: wide and easy for meandering. The guide claims it is a 1.5 mile hike down which may be true. However, the trek back up is brutal and feels like 4 miles to my quads and glutes. The term "Steep Grade" has never been so clear to me in it's meaning. I am happy to say SP and I appear to be equal in our level of out of shapeness and neither would balk at the need to stop, preferably in the shade for a breather and a swig of water.



Views of Skunk Harbor. Most folks seem to boat in for a spell and then move on.



Looking out to the lake. Not a skunk in sight.



This is the Newhall Party House at Skunk Harbor

SP and I are currently musing over our next trek. Probably still under 4 miles in order to break in the new boots. I am loving the feeling of accomplishment from our hikes, even though I was cussing halfway up the trail last Saturday, and happy to be out in nature and near the water.

1 comment:

kyrie said...

It is great that you are doing this! it looks like so much fun and sounds enjoyable. a little pain in the legs is a good sign. keep it up!!