Sunday, April 15, 2007

Stormy Sunday

The weather is gloomy and so am I. Well, I'm snapping out of it since I spent yesterday wallowing. It is simply this. I ended up owing the federal government money this year. I was anticipating a return....bought a house.....everyone said buy a house....no state tax in Nevada...really.....all these things point to a nice tax return....visions of landscaping the backyard, painting, sprucing, wondrous shopping spree at Home Depot. Maybe some new pants. Poof! Just like that. I have resigned myself to small improvements over time, okay, I can do that...still...can you say hugely disappointed?

I am focusing on May. I have signed up for a Djembe drumming class. 5 evenings in Reno. Tucked the money away, changed my work schedule. This will make me very happy. I have not drummed since I left San Francisco and I am looking forward to reviewing what I know and learning new stuff and meeting other drummers. Always a good thing.

In Carson City news:

Our mayor, Marv Teixeira, 72, has been seen bicycling to city hall since he was arrested on a DUI March 5th. He's doing community service, fines, and a driver training course. He was quoted in the Nevada Appeal newspaper "this is the biggest embarrassment of my life."
The article is here

Up on "C Hill", a western hillside overlooking the capital, there are goats doing the busy work of eating cheat grass in order to stem the tide of wild fires. 800 Merino-Rambouillet crossbreds, sort of a light brown, are hanging out and chewing vigorously. I'll try and get a picture up soon.
The Reno Gazette Journal article is here.

There have been several stories in the Nevada Appeal regarding Business Week's top 10 emerging arts communities. Surprisingly, Carson City is number 3 on the list after Santa Fe, New Mexico. Hard to believe...just ask MMspouse his opinion...still it makes me happy. Reinforces my decision to live here. There is art, there is creativity and it is being recognized.
Original article is here.

I'll save my most recent cultural activities for another day.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Oh, what a huge disappointment to not get a tax refund. I feel your pain.

But yay for getting drum lessons! How cool is that!

Anonymous said...

I just figured mine out yesterday and was SHOCKED to learn that I owe money. It's a small amount (thank God), but when one was expecting a rather hefty refund... How screwed up is our tax system when people like you and me end up having to pay MORE? I'd heard about the goats...very cool about the emerging arts scene.

Anonymous said...

This mayor's embarassment is that he was DUI or that he has to ride the bike?!! Our mayor is much younger and nowhere as interesting.