Saturday, April 29, 2006

Red Fish, Blue Fish

On the Nevada political scene:

The Nevada Democrats held a state convention in Las Vegas on April 22. According to the Reno-Gazette Journal, the Dem's hope to win back six statewide offices that were swept by Republicans in 2002.

Upon moving to Nevada you would have thought I would do my political homework. I was lulled into a sense of false security by the fact that the Senate Minority leader is Harry Reid, a democrat from Nevada. Alas, it appears I am living in a predominately red state. It is good to know the democrats are rallying in a state election year.

I attended a kick off rally in the capital a few months back for Jack Carter, who is running for State Senator and makes his home in Summerlin outside of Vegas.



He is the son of a humble peanut farmer named Jimmy.






It was a political rally so all the right things were said and there was some funny Bush bashing. More interesting was a group of approximately 500 democrats converging on the capital mall in our small town to support the democratic nominee. I was thrilled to see a large crowd on a weekday afternoon. It was cool to be in the presence of a former president as well. Jimmy and Rosalyn made the trip along with members of Jack's family. What was interesting to me as well was that the following day at Coretta Scott King's funeral our Jimmy outright snubbed the current president after he spoke by refusing to shake his hand as others had before him. Pretty ballsy and somewhat out of character for Jimmy Carter. I think he is cranky as all get out with the Bush administration. The democratic convention affirmed that they are banking on our dissatisfaction with the Bush administration. Hopefully, it will help rally the Dem's and inspire the voters. Blue is my favorite color.

2 comments:

Marilyn said...

Yeah, I thought that was pretty uncharacteristic of Jimmy...but glad he handled it that way. Good luck to the Dems in Nevada in '06. :)

Danielle said...

Lucky you to have seen Jimmy Carter in person. Despite the unfortunate things that occurred during his presidency, he remains one of my favorite presidents. I think he is a good man, and had we listened to him then, I think we could have avoided many of the problems we face now. Definitely good luck in November! Danielle...who comes from the (sadly) solidly red and ultra conservative state of NE!